A comprehensive addiction treatment program provides therapeutic care and treatment for every aspect of the patient’s life that is negatively impacted by drugs and alcohol. This goal can result in a highly diverse range of treatment plans across patients, the specifics of which will be based upon each patient’s:
- Drug history
- Medical and physical ailments
- Mental health issues
- History of trauma and abuse
- Goals for recovery
Holistic treatment programs like Futures attend to the whole body, which includes physical health, mental health, and emotional stability. All the tools the patient needs to learn how to live a life that is defined by balance and sobriety should be provided during treatment, and here at Futures, we offer a wide range of evidence-based traditional and holistic treatment options. Contact us today for more information.
Calming the Spirit
For those who struggle with stress or find that they often turn to drugs and alcohol as a way to deal with anger, depression, anxiety or other stimulating mental health symptoms, learning how to de-stress naturally can take the urgency out of these situations and give the patient the necessary space and time to think clearly and make positive choices before drinking or getting high. Some common therapies incorporated into treatment for the purposes of stress reduction include:
- Meditation. Focusing on the breath and learning how to “empty the mind” of thoughts can help patients to find a peace within when they begin to feel stressed or upset.
- Yoga. Different types of yoga provide different benefits. Some are more meditative while others are more physical. The benefits are mental and emotional as well as physical in nature as a result.
- Acupuncture. Utilizing very thin needles that are inserted painlessly into the top layers of skin, it is believed that the “chi” or energy in the body is better able to flow freely and blockages are relieved.
- Acupressure. Certain pressure points on the body are believed to be connected to different issues and physical maladies as well as mood. Regular sessions can help the patient to decrease stress and improve mental health.
- Bodywork and massage. It is believed that the muscles hold memory and that bodywork and massage can help to release the emotions connected to those memories as well as decrease stress and improve the patient’s mood.
Improving Physical Health
A wide range of holistic therapies, or alternative therapies, address the body directly through activity and experience. Some possible options include:
- Dance therapy
- Sports therapy
- Recreation therapy
- Adventure and wilderness therapies
Many of these therapies offer the benefits of positive social relationships with others who also take part in the therapies as well as increasing confidence in the patient to do and try new things and live outside of their comfort zone.
Which of these and other holistic therapies would be of benefit to your addicted loved one? It depends on a number of factors, not the least of which is your loved one’s interests and hopes for the future. Depending upon the issues identified during the course of treatment and the treatment plan developed for your family member, different holistic therapies may be helpful at different times. You can learn more about the options available to your loved one as well as discuss how to get them started on the road to recovery when you contact us at Futures today.